The Helpers of God’s Precious Infants is an international ministry founded in 1989 by Msgr. Philip Reilly, which is committed to maintaining a loving and prayerful presence outside of abortion sites.
1) The Helpers’ approach is centered on prayer/fasting and conversion of souls. We pray to obtain God’s mercy for the mothers/fathers, their escorts who bring them, abortionists, their staff and all those who contribute to abortion by their silence or indifference.
2) All forms of demonstration are prohibited. (No debating, confronting, yelling, condemning, judging, gawking, ridiculing, arguing, photographing, or picketing).
3) We strive to maintain a Christ-like demeanor using the overwhelming power of love so that they may see the face of Christ in us. They must see LOVE – not anger and confrontation.
4) We watch and pray – plead and counsel. We pray for each mother and encourage her to change her mind by offering her emotional, spiritual support and practical assistance. We offer prayers for her healing and conversion if she proceeds with the abortion. We plead for these abandoned babies and support them spiritually with our prayers as they die. We recognize our powerlessness and rely ultimately on God’s power and grace to convert hearts and overcome the evil of abortion. We get out of God’s way so that we may be used as a channel of His grace by our presence and witness.
5) A strict discipline of constant prayer is maintained. No discussion is permitted. No eating and drinking at abortion site. No laughing or socializing. It is critical that the women and the escorts who bring them, abortionists, their staff, and the general public see a praying people.
6) The Sidewalk Counselors rely on the Prayers. The Prayers provide spiritual and moral support to the Sidewalk Counselors who counsel the women. The Prayers engage in the spiritual battle of overcoming the “spiritual abortion” that first took place within a mom’s heart before she was able to physically abort her baby. The “spiritual abortion” must be overcome by spiritual means before the mother can change her mind about the physical abortion. The Prayers obtain the grace of God by their prayers and sacrifices to reverse the “spiritual abortion” while the “Sidewalk Counselors” work to prevent the physical abortion of the baby.
7) A network of Spiritual Supporters is essential. These are people who are physically unable to come to the abortion site, but contribute prayers and sacrifices made during the week and offer it up for the work of the Helpers.
The results using Monsignor Reilly’s model: An incredible 20,000 babies have been saved and 22 abortion centers have been shut down permanently. Abortionists have left and vowed never to return. Some of them have told Monsignor that, “One praying person reminded us we were doing wrong. It became hell!”